Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pavlova

OMG! I have officially baked a cake!!
Not exactly a cake ( no flour) but a sophisticate but surprisingly easy PAVLOVA.
It is a meringue dessert consist of egg whites and sugar, and best of all, it is FAT FREE!
You won't go wrong when a klutz like me HAS SUCCEEDED in making this.
Here is my not so pretty but it taste like heaven PAVLOVA.
Since I doesn't have whipping cream or fresh fruits, I glazed the top with marmalade.
It is pretty adjustable, you can use other toppings like whipping cream with fresh berries, chocolate sauce (heaven!) or ice cream.

Ingredients
Meringue
6 egg whites (approx. 6 ounces)
1 cup of sugar ( can be reduced to your liking if you don't wanna get diabetes)
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon cream of tartar or 2 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
A pinch of salt

Toppings
Whipping cream
Fresh berries
(adjustable to your liking)
  1. Preheat oven to 300°
  2. Stir cornstarch into the sugar in a small bowl and place it aside
  3. Whip egg whites, cream of tartar and salt with an electronic mixer for 2 - 3 minutes
  4. Gradually add in sugar-cornstarch mix into the mixture
  5. Slowly add in vanilla essence and vinegar (if you are not using cream of tartar)
  6. Increase the speed and whip till the meringue is glossy and the sugar is dissolved ( approx. 5 minutes)
  7. Pour mixture into a flat pie pan
  8. Bake for 30 minutes
  9. When it is done, turn off oven and let it sit to 'cool off'. The meringue should be a little tan and firm to touch.
  10. After it cools off, you will notice cracks of the inside are all marshmallowey (yum!)
  11. Decorate with your favourite toppings!
  12. Ta-dah! No fuss baking!

3 comments:

Chee Yu Li said...

hey
next time must let me try :)
u have the next episode of gossip girl? i want... hehe

Katy said...

Thanks hun! I was going to comment on your blog too but I was on the ipod touch and I hate typing on touchscreen. =S

Anyway, that recipe looks delicious!! I'm trying to cook more too so maybe I'll try this one day. *bookmarks

vivienzeru said...

@yu li : yeapssss season 2 is extremely addictive!

@katy : haha, thanx dear for visiting! yeah I'm learning to cook more too coz' I'm like a total kluz in the kitchen, this one is like peanuts! do try n let me know how it turns out =)